Skip to Content

Cemeteries

Traditionally, burials took place in the churchyard of the parish church. As nonconformity became more widespread, a number of chapels provided their own burial grounds (for example, Hallgate Congregational Church, Doncaster), but most continued to make use of the parish churchyard.

By the mid nineteenth century, these churchyards were proving insufficient for the growing population of towns and in 1853 an Act of Parliament allowed local authorities to provide new, non-denominational, cemeteries. This led in Doncaster to the opening of the Hyde Park cemetery in 1856. Responsibility for Hyde Park was subsequently transferred to Doncaster borough council and the council provided a new cemetery at Rosehill, Cantley in 1934. Outside Doncaster, civil parish councils and Urban District Councils were also creating cemeteries as alternatives to the parish churchyards.

Doncaster Archives holds microfilms of cemetery registers and some original cemetery registers. You will need to book a microfilm reader to see these records. For information about other cemeteries, you will need to contact the Cemeteries and Crematorium Department at Rose Hill Crematorium, Cantley Lane, Doncaster DN4 6NB, telephone 01302 535191.

  Cemetery Registers

Adwick Le Street, Red House Lane    1951-1968      
Adwick Le Street, Windmill Balk Lane    1912-1968      
Ardsley    1886-1938      
Askern    1917-1961      
Askern, Register of Purchased Graves    1919-1976      
Bolton Upon Dearne 1909-1974      
Campsall    1858-1962      
Campsall, New Cemetery    1912-1961      

Conisbrough: 
Burials
Burials of Stillborn & Children Under 1 Month      


1900-1951
1926-1980
Dodworth       1912-1978   
Doncaster:    
Hyde Park, Consecrated
Unconsecrated
Rosehill, Consecrated
Rosehill, Unconsecrated   

1856-1946
1856-1991
1934-1954
1934-1975
Elsecar, Register of Purchased Graves    1931-1981      
Hatfield    1886-1952      
Hemingfield    1894-1938      
Mexborough, Old Cemetery    1878-1931      
Mexborough, New Cemetery    1894-1938      
Penistone    1941-1956      
Roystone    1923-1974        
Stainforth  1886-2003 
Thurnscoe  1902-1974      

 

Contact us Contact us

Contact Details

eMail: Archives

Tel: 01302 859811

Address:

Doncaster Archives
King Edward Road
Balby
Doncaster
DN4 0NA

Opening Times

Doncaster Archives is currently CLOSED due to building issues. Please see the note in red on the left.

Tuesdays to Thursdays 

10:00–16:00

Mondays and Fridays,

Weekends & Public Holidays 

CLOSED

 Tel 01302 736000 | Text: 71006 | Email:general.enquires@doncaster.gov.uk                                                           accessibility | speech enable | help        

Powered by Axiell Arena