COVID-19 Libraries Update
Library services update
From Monday April 12, staffed branch libraries at Thorne, Edlington and Mexborough will continue with Order & Collect service where books and resources can continue to be booked online and collected according to COVID guidance.
Order & Collect Service
These libraries will be open for browsing by appointment and bookable PC access and open fully from Monday April 26.
Community libraries which have continued to operate with an Order & Collect service will continue to do so and all will aim to reopen their buildings as soon as possible. You can find out more by checking our branch library pages for the latest updates.
Thank you for your patience and let’s return to our libraries safely.
- - You no longer need to make an appointment to collect or return books, If you need to attend a library which is offering Computer access, you will still need to prebook before your visit via phone or email.
- - Where possible only one member from your household comes to the library alone to collect or return.
- - Please maintain a 2-metre distance between yourself, library staff, and other customers and keep your face mask on to keep everyone safe.
- - Don’t attend our libraries if you have any symptoms of Covid-19, however mild, please stay at home and follow NHS guidance (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/)
- - If you’re not a member of the library but would like to join you can only currently do so online by clicking the “Join your Library” button on our homepage or by phoning us on 01302 734315.
- - If you’d like to choose your own books then log into your account using your library card number and PIN and visit our Order & Collect page. You can choose which available library you would like to collect items from then use the search box below this to enter any authors or titles you are looking for. Click on the cover of the book and then the “Reserve” button to order. We are sorry but only stock available at your collection branch is currently available due to restrictions. Staff can also select titles on your behalf by completing the ‘Staff Selection’ form at the bottom of the page.
- - You can also order by phone or by emailing the library you will be visiting with details of what you would like. (Contact details at https://library.doncaster.gov.uk/web/arena/local-branches).
- - Look out for an email or phone call from our library staff who will contact you to agree a date and time for you to come to the library to pick up your items.
- - Please do not attend your local library to collect your books until you have received your date and confirmation.
Plans are well underway to re-open library services following the government announcement that libraries may reopen their doors, subject to following Covid-secure guidelines.
Over the last few months, Doncaster, Heritage and Library Services have endeavoured to preserve a semblance of service, maintaining and boosting the online offer to customers – seeing a large increase in eBook loans and online access – and ensuring contact with their most vulnerable members through welfare calls.
From Tuesday 20th April, Bentley Community Library will reopen for Order & Collect, limited browsing, bookable PC access. Printing and photocopying will be available.
A new ‘Order and Collect’ service is running at libraries which have re-opened, customers can order books online or over the phone and then collect them during advertised opening hours. Order and Collect is available from Armthorpe, Askern, Balby, Bawtry, Bentley (from 20th April), Bessacarr (from19th April), Conisbrough, Edlington, Hatfield, Intake, Mexborough, Moorends, Sprotbrough, Stainforth, Thorne, Tickhill and Warmsworth libraries to allow for greater access and less travel across the borough.
Armthorpe (from 26th April), Balby, Bentley (from 20th April), Hatfield, Stainforth, Sprotbrough, Warmsworth Community Library are also offerening a photocopying service and limited bookable PC access but you must call and book a computer before you visit. Appointments must be made by contacting the library via phone or email before you visit
Doncaster’s 21 Community Libraries are being supported on a case-by-case basis to prepare and open up services in a limited way to ensure continued safety for volunteers and customers to return.
For library members who are vulnerable and unable to access a library, while work is ongoing on a phased opening of other libraries, there is an option to have your books delivered to your door through the Home Library Service. Contact 01302 734315 or email Central.email@example.com
We will be looking at expanding the services we offer on a phased basis when we deem it safe to do so and any changes to the service offer will be highlighted on social media and the web site. Please continue to check the website for the latest updates and opening times as these are subject to change.
Update on other library services
The School Library Service - Whilst we are in the second lockdown, topic boxes can still be ordered and delivered. You will be given a time and day that they will be delivered, but unfortunately our drivers can deliver them to the front door only as we have been advised that they are not permitted to enter the school. As soon as this changes we will update you all.
The prison library staff are back on site preparing for a staged return to service with an initial ‘prison wing trolley service’ operating to maintain safety of inmates and staff.
The Patients library at Doncaster and Bassetlaw Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust remains closed to patients for the time being. However the medical library is open for medical staff to access resources.