Health & Wellbeing in Libraries
Be happy and healthy with Doncaster Libraries. Now you need look no further than your local library to access a wide collection of health and wellbeing books.
Health & Wellbeing Collections
Health & Wellbeing Collections are located across libraries in Doncaster. The books can be searched and requested online or staff are available to give help and request them for you free of charge. The full collections are available at:
- Central Lending Library
- Edlington Library
- Mexborough Library
- Thorne Library
Smaller collections are available in all other Doncaster libraries.
Additionally, in partnership with Doncaster & Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Doncaster Royal Infirmary holds a Health & Wellbeing Collection containing a wider selection of material - these books can be found on Doncaster Libraries catalogue and can be requested via your local library. Contact staff in your local library for further information.
Also available are collections of books for the Reading Well Books on Presciption.
Health Information Resources
All libraries in Doncaster offer a wide range of information and leaflets to help your health and wellbeing – please call in and have a browse. The links attached to this page will also provide you with useful information.
With support from the library service at DRI, Doncaster Libraries offers a Health Information Service. If you need further assistance with obtaining health or patient information on a condition or following diagnosis of an illness, we may be able to help. Call into your nearest library offering Health & Wellbeing services for assistance. You may also find the Health & Wellbeing/Patient Information site managed by DRI library useful
Disclaimer:any information provided is not an endorsement of how your condition or illness should be managed. You must always seek help and advice from your local GP or other healthcare professional.
Health Events and Promotions
Doncaster Libraries will promote a variety of health events and activities throughout the year, of which some will be in partnership with national and local NHS providers and charitable organisations.
- Doncaster Clinical Commissioning Group – for information about local NHS services in Doncaster (note: currently under development)
- DIAL Doncaster – Disability Advisory Service
- Healthwatch Doncaster– the consumer champion for health and social care in the borough of Doncaster
- SYCIL – South Yorkshire Centre for Inclusive Living
- NHS Choices – search for doctors, dentists, hospitals and other health services in the UK. It also features an A-Z of treatments and conditions.
- NHS Direct – provides expert health advice, information and resources 24-hours a day
- Patient UK – contains information leaflets on medicines and drugs as well as information