The Local Studies Library and its services
The Local Studies Library collects and preserves historical and contemporary information relating to the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster, together with supporting material on South Yorkshire and the neighbouring counties of Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire, making it available for members of the public to access in the Local Studies Library and via other means such as our web pages and through our research service.
The collection includes books, newspapers and periodicals, maps and plans, directories, minute books, nineteenth and twentieth century census returns, illustrations and ephemera. It covers many aspects such as history, geography, industry, transport, health, social life, education, sport and leisure, population, natural history, religion, economics and one of today's most popular hobbies, family history.
• A research service is available to customers unable to visit the department. The cost and details are available from the Local Studies staff on 01302 734307.
• Small group visits to the department by arrangement only.
• Advice on local and family history research.
Using the Local Studies Library
All the material held in the Local Studies Library is for use in the department only and as such is issued by the staff for use in the department and to be returned to staff on completion of use.. Copies of some of the books held in the department can be loaned from the lending section of the Library Service.
The varied sources and material held in the Local Studies Library forms a unique collection and as such must be handled with great care. We, therefore, ask customers to observe the following guidelines.
All users of the Local Studies Library need to be members of Doncaster Library Service and will be asked to fill in a form to register as a member. Proof of name and address will be required, such as driving licence, bank statement, household bill etc. membership will allow access to all aspects of Doncaster Library service including the free subscription to Find my Past and Ancestry websites, and remotely to the 24hr services via this website.
• No food (including sweets and chewing gum) or drink of any kind may be consumed in the Local Studies Library.
• Whilst viewing Local Studies material, we ask people to use pencils to make notes so that the material does not become marked or damaged.
• We ask customers to take care of our books, documents and maps by not leaning on them or allowing then to overhang the edge of the tables.
• For the consideration of other users, please switch off your mobile phone. These can be used in the stairwell area if needed.
Microfilm reader machine and computer reservations
Use of the microfilm machines and computers in Local Studies is by appointment. The machines and computers may be reserved up to a fortnight in advance of a visit. Please telephone 01302 734307 to make a reservation. Bookings start 15 minutes after the library opens and finish 15 minutes before closing time to allow for setting up/closing down and health & safety checks to be carried out.
Photocopying from Local Studies Library material
Photocopies may be made subject to copyright. Photocopying may sometimes not be possible due to the condition of a particular item. Please ask staff for guidance regarding the photocopying of material.
Opening hours as of the 15 April 2019 for the Local Studies Library are as follows:
10am - 4pm
10am - 4pm
10am - 4pm