This year the Reading Agency's Summer Reading Challenge will go Digital with a virtual Launch event on the 5th June.
This year's star-studded list of ambassadors includes CBBC presenters Sam and Mark; children's author Jacqueline Wilson; comedian and TV presenter Paul O'Grady; Waterstones Children's Laureate Cressida Cowell; comedian and author David Baddiel; TV adventurer Ben Fogle; former Blue Peter presenter and children's author Konnie Huq; performance poet Joseph Coelho and CBBC's Hacker T Dog reunited with Radio 1's Katie Thistleton.
They are joined by children's authors including Rob Biddulph, Philip Ardagh, Guy Bass, Steven Butler, Gareth P Jones, J M Joseph, Jennifer Killick and Silly Squad illustrator Laura Ellen Anderson. Founder of The Shed School Ashley Bates, illustrator Johanna Basford OBE, actress and comedian Samantha Baines, author and game designer Gabrielle Kent, plus bestselling authors David McKee, Milly Johnson, Dorothy Koomson, Kit de Waal and Kate Clanchy MBE are also offering their support for the campaign.
Jacqueline Wilson, author and supporter of the Summer Reading Challenge says: "I feel the Summer Reading Challenge is extra important this year! How sensible to have a Silly theme. We've all had to deal with serious and scary issues, so it's time for a bit of fun. There are so many comical and crazy children's books to cheer us all up. Let's get reading and get happy!"
The Summer Reading Challenge will run from June to September, launching on Friday 5 June with a virtual Let's Get Silly programme running from the Summer Reading Challenge's Facebook page. The launch will feature special super silly readings, family activities and draw-a-longs from guest celebrities and authors.
Over the summer we will continue to run the Challenge in partnership with The Reading Agency, delivering it via virtual services and e-lending platforms.
The Reading Agency's full schedule of events will be announced the week commencing Monday 1st June with the following virtual events already confirmed:
- CBBC's Sam and Mark kick-off the party with their unique brand of 'silly' fun.
- Readings and jokes from authors including David Baddiel, Ben Fogle, Philip Ardagh, Paul O'Grady, Konnie Huq and Samantha Baines.
- Silly Time with the BBC's Katie Thistleton and Hacker T Dog.
- Draw-a-Longs with official Summer Reading Challenge illustrator Laura Ellen Anderson, and Rob Biddulph.
- Magic Tricks and Mind-Bending Maths with Mr Bates from The Shed School.
- Poetry with performance poet and playwright Joseph Coelho.
- Crafts, colour and creativity with the original queen of colouring, Johanna Basford.
- Bedtime Reading session with actor Charlie Condou reading from This is Gus by Chris Chatterton, published by Macmillan Children's Books.
- Unveiling of the official 'Let's Get Silly!' theme song by Harry Baker and Chris Read.
Watch this space and our Facebook & Twitter pages for more information about how to join in this year's Digital Summer Reading Challenge!